Hillsborough County attracts the state’s second highest population gain from net migration
December 6th, 2019
The subject of “net migration” has been a hot topic as of late. So, Tampa Bay EDC’s research analyst Robin DiSalvo did some digging to see which counties in the state of Florida had the most population gains from net migration.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, Hillsborough County had the state’s second highest population gain from people moving here through migration.
Let’s break down the findings:
- More than 45 million Americans changed residences between 2017-2018
- Of those 45 million, more than 322,500 people migrated to Florida
- Among the 67 counties within Florida, nearly 20,900 residents migrated to Hillsborough County between 2017-2018 alone – that’s almost 60 per day!
- Hillsborough County only slightly trailed Polk County in population gains, which gained the most new residents at 21,200
- Hillsborough County’s yearly growth was 6.7%
Now, let’s go back further:
- Between April 1, 2010-July 1, 2008, more than 2.2 million people migrated to Florida
- During that timeframe, Hillsborough County ranks fourth in total migration with more than 150,600 new residents
- Neighboring counties of Polk, Pinellas and Pasco helped round out the top ten with the highest net migration gains
For more information on Hillsborough County’s population increases and migration, visit the market intelligence section.