Moving into the final year of our strategic action plan, the foundation is set for a strong finish
August 26, 2021
As we wrap up the second year of our three-year strategic action plan, Opportunity Tampa Bay, I am proud of the progress that our team and Investors have made. When we began formulating our plan in 2019, we never imagined having to deal with a persistent pandemic or our offices going virtual for months. But as we navigate these strange times, one thing has become clear: Tampa is in a stronger position today in many ways than ever before. Forbes just named Tampa the #1 Emerging Tech Market in the U.S. Tampa has been attracting great talent and fast-growing companies for years now, but since Covid that trend has accelerated dramatically. We are welcoming exciting companies from San Francisco, New York and Boston, and our local startup community is thriving.
We’ve implemented new tools and digital strategies in order to push forward the major goals of our strategic plan, which are:
- Business Development: Marketing Tampa Bay as a top business relocation and expansion destination by proactively engaging site selectors, corporate decision makers and other influencers in key target industries and strategic growth areas.
- Talent Attraction: Positioning Tampa Bay as one of the top markets in the U.S. for talent by attracting new residents and creating greater awareness of meaningful career opportunities among the local workforce.
- Placemaking: Driving projects and initiatives that promote Tampa Bay’s competitiveness as a destination for business and talent by showcasing the region’s quality of place.
And with this final year of our strategic plan, we’re ready to launch several key initiatives that will propel us to a strong finish. Our leadership team laid out those initiatives at the latest board meeting:
- Competitiveness Committee: Led by our COO, Michelle Bauer, our Investors will develop and direct initiatives that will enhance our region’s competitiveness as a business destination.
- Talent Retention and Development strategy: Together with our four major universities and community colleges and CareerSource Tampa Bay, the EDC is working to strengthen connections between employers and the institutions graduating skilled talent.
- New Business Retention and Expansion campaign: Together with our City and County leaders, the EDC team will introduce a new program that will engage local companies in shaping Hillsborough County’s economic future.
- Community Development and Placemaking: Focus on identifying and promoting catalytic projects in opportunity zones.
We’ve got the momentum and support from our partners needed to meet or surpass our goals. I look forward to engaging our Investors even more this fall, and together, I know we’ll knock it out of the park!