For more information on target industries, please contact:
Tampa leads the state in high-wage STEM jobs. In the past five years, local IT jobs have grown at nearly twice the rate of overall average job growth and are projected to increase by 10 percent over the next five-year period. The region has quickly become a hub for IT companies of all shapes and sizes, and there is still room to grow, which is good because there doesn’t seem to be any slow down any time soon.
The state boasts one of the largest software and computer systems design and integration industries in the U.S. and Tampa has emerged a leader in such specialized areas as cybersecurity and data science.
Tampa ranks first in the state in terms of concentration of .NET developers, data warehousing specialists, and Hadoop developers. Tampa is also first in Florida and tenth in the U.S. for the number of computer network architects employed.
The region is also home to Cyber Florida, a first-of-its-kind, shared resource that aims to make Florida the national leader in this emerging and critical field. USF is also the first among Florida’s 12 public universities to offer a bachelor’s degree in cybersecurity, one of the country’s fastest growing industries.
- One of the Top Ten Best American Cities to Work in Tech – SmartAsset
- Tampa has more high-growth companies per capita than New York City – Inc., 2018
- The Tampa region holds 20 percent of the state’s IT positions
- Leading IT jobs: Software Developers and Applications, Computer User Support Specialists, Computer Systems Analysts, Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- Leading IT companies: AgileThought, Cognizant, ConnectWise, DAS Health, Nielsen, ReliaQuest, SunView Software, Sykes Enterprises, Syniverse, Tech Data and Tribridge
“We are committed to expanding our base of operations in Tampa and helping to highlight this region as one of the top information technology sector destinations in the United States. The support we have received from the city, county and state has been tremendous, and will greatly enhance our ability to attract and retain the world class talent our organization needs to thrive here.”
– Brian Murphy, CEO of ReliaQuest, a leading information security firm
A thriving entrepreneurial scene is also taking shape with a network of incubators and resources working together to provide well-rounded support for homegrown companies.
Florida among top five states dominating tech employment