For more information on target industries, please contact:
Tampa leads the state in high-wage STEM jobs and is quickly becoming a hub for IT companies of all shapes and sizes. According to Dice, Tampa is responsible for more than 25% of Florida’s tech jobs. And while many markets are experiencing “brain drains,” Tampa is in the midst of a “brain gain.” According to CBRE’s annual Scoring Tech Talent Report, Tampa stands out as the No. 8 market with the highest brain gain, determined by the ratio of tech-degree graduates to tech-talent job creation. Tampa Bay also ranks sixth in the country for migration of tech workers. Tech in Tampa has been on an upward trend for at least a decade, adding nearly 11,000 jobs from 2015 to 2020, according to CBRE’s report.
The state boasts one of the largest software and computer systems design and integration industries in the U.S. and Tampa has emerged a leader in such specialized areas as cybersecurity and data science.
WalletHub evaluated 100 largest metro areas in the nation to find the best for science, technology, engineering and math workers. Tampa ranked the #22 best metro for STEM workers, scoring well for professional opportunities and quality of life.
The region is also home to Cyber Florida, a first-of-its-kind, shared resource that aims to make Florida the national leader in the emerging and critical field of cybersecurity. USF is also the first among Florida’s 12 public universities to offer a bachelor’s degree in cybersecurity, one of the country’s fastest growing industries.
Learn more about the local IT workforce, educational partners and programs, and ecosystem in our industry overview.
- Over the past five years, the IT sector grew 28% in Hillsborough County, 7% more than the national average.
- Tampa’s tech talent is projected to grow 10.5% by 2026 – Chmura JobsEQ
- Tampa among top 10 fastest growing U.S. tech hubs for IT talent – Dice, 2022
- Florida #2 for tech job growth in 2021 – CompTIA, 2022
- Tampa #1 emerging tech city in the U.S. – Forbes, 2021
- Tampa Bay ranks #6 for tech worker relocations – LinkedIn, 2021
- Leading IT jobs: Software Developers and Applications, Computer User Support Specialists, Computer Systems Analysts, Network and Computer Systems Administrators
- Leading IT companies: Accusoft, AgileThought, Avanade, ConnectWise, Drift, Greenway Health, Nielsen, OPSWAT, Rapid7, ReliaQuest, SunView Software, Sykes Enterprises, Syniverse
“Not only does Tampa have access to students from schools like University of South Florida, University of Tampa and Eckerd College, but in the past five years, tech-related jobs in the Tampa Bay area were up 27.6% and the city has been rated as one of the top places to start a career. We’re excited to capitalize on this pipeline of talent and are committed to investing in the future of the Tampa Bay area.”
– David Cancel, Founder and CEO, Drift
A thriving entrepreneurial scene is also taking shape with a network of incubators and resources working together to provide well-rounded support for homegrown companies.
Tampa #1 emerging tech city in the U.S.
Forbes Technology Council, 2021