Tampa shines in National Public Radio podcast series
May 25, 2021
Tom Wilmer, host of the Lowell Thomas award-winning NPR digital media travel show, Journeys of Discovery with Tom Wilmer, recently visited Tampa to get a primer on Tampa’s historic past, exciting present and bright future.
It was Wilmer’s and his associate producer Jennifer Simonson’s first time in Tampa and they were blown away by all the buzz around our community. Our impressive Mayor, the transformative developments underway, the cool companies located here, the rich history of Ybor City, and the young entrepreneurs enriching Tampa’s unique sense of place.
Several episodes have already aired, including interviews with Mayor Jane Castor; Andrea Gonzmart, fifth generation restauranteur of Columbia Restaurant Group; Dave Bevirt with SPP, the developers of Water Street Tampa; Tim Moore, CEO of Diamond View Studios; Jason Woody, president and CEO of Lions Eye Institute; Roberto Torres with Blind Tiger Cafe; and Ferrell Alvarez, chef and co-founder of Rooster & the Till.
Below are the links to listen to each episode. More Tampa stories are in the works, and we’ll be sure to share them as they’re available.
- Tampa Mayor’s trifecta – housing, workforce development & transportation: https://www.kcbx.org/post/journeys-discovery-tampa-mayor-s-trifecta-housing-workforce-development-transportation#stream/0
- Tampa’s strategic urban core renaissance: https://www.kcbx.org/post/journeys-discovery-tampa-s-strategic-urban-core-renaissance
- The future is present at Tampa’s virtual Vū Studio: https://www.kcbx.org/post/journeys-discovery-future-present-tampa-s-virtual-v-studio#stream/0
- Tampa’s legendary Lions Eye Institute: https://www.kcbx.org/post/journeys-discovery-tampa-s-legendary-lions-eye-institute
- Exploring Tampa’s exploding culinary and coffee scene: https://www.kcbx.org/post/journeys-discovery-exploring-tampa-s-exploding-culinary-and-coffee-scene#stream/0
- Fifth generation restaurateur takes us inside Florida’s oldest restaurant: https://www.kcbx.org/post/journeys-discovery-fifth-generation-restaurateur-takes-us-inside-florida-s-oldest-restaurant