For more information about the local life sciences industry, please contact:
Senior Vice President,
LIFE SCIENCES & HEALTH CARE
According to Enterprise Florida, more than 1,440 establishments operate within the Florida biotech, pharmaceutical and medical development scene, with more than 46,000 healthcare establishments. Florida is also home to the nation’s second-largest medical device manufacturing industry, second-largest pharmaceuticals manufacturing industry and the fifth-largest biotech R&D industry.
The Tampa metro area currently has more than 3,200 establishments in the Life Sciences and Healthcare industry, which has seen a significant growth of 74% since 2020. Life sciences combined with healthcare employment continues to fare better in the Tampa area than the U.S. job market, and is projected to grow 26% over the next five years compared to the national average of 18%.
Local universities are producing more talent, too. Between 2017 and 2021, bachelor’s and master’s degrees in biological and biomedical sciences are growing faster than the state of Florida.
In recent years, globally renowned corporations such as Bristol Myers Squibb, Johnson & Johnson, Amgen, and Pfizer have chosen Hillsborough County as sites for major North American operations. They join local institutions such as Moffitt Cancer Center, LifeLink, and Lion’s Eye Institute in contributing to Tampa’s growing reputation for research and development.
The area has also attracted medical research and life sciences companies like Axogen, Bausch & Lomb Pharmaceuticals, Morphogenesis, Verséa Health and Vycellix, which are producing innovative solutions and developing effective treatments for various diseases. These companies join a stellar list of life sciences companies already in the area with specialties ranging from global operations, R&D, and advanced manufacturing.
Learn more about the life sciences and healthcare sector’s local workforce, education partners and ecosystem in our industry overview.
- Tampa General Hospital, recognized as one of America’s Best Hospitals in six specialties by U.S. News & World Report and one of the busiest transplant centers in the nation, recently performed its 10,000th transplant
- Moffitt Cancer Center has been recognized as a top rated cancer hospital in the nation by U.S. News & World Report since 1999, and is Florida’s only Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Top sectors: medical equipment manufacturing, medical diagnostic laboratories, scientific research and development, pharmaceutical and medicine manufacturing
- Leading employers: Amgen, Axogen, Bausch & Lomb, Bristol Myers Squibb, Florida Blue, Johnson & Johnson, LifeLink, Lions Eye Institute, Moffitt Cancer Center, Morphogenesis, Pfizer, Quest Diagnostics, Ultimate Medical Academy, Verséa Health
I think the community, and the region at large, are going to benefit significantly from our ability to collaborate and innovate faster. We’re not only getting closer geographically, but we’re collaborating in ways we haven’t collaborated in the last 40 years around medical science, new programs and new services. It’s an exciting time.
– John Couris, president and CEO, Tampa General Hospital (speaking to TGH’s partnership with USF and the impact of moving the medical school to downtown Tampa)
Moffitt Cancer Center and Tampa General Hospital recognized among best hospital rankings
U.S. NEWS & WORLD REPORT