For more information about the local manufacturing industry, please contact:
Interim VP, Economic
Manufacturing has a long history in the Tampa area where it is a source of innovation for a wide range of industries. Whether it’s addressing precise military specifications, developing medical devices, or addressing sustainability efforts, local firms are advancing modern manufacturing technology and making an impact across the globe.
One of the region’s greatest business success stories over the past decade is the growth of the manufacturing sector. Florida ranks among the nation’s top 10 states for manufacturing, according to Enterprise Florida, and the Tampa Bay region has the second largest manufacturing employment in the state. According to the Manufacturing Industry Spotlight from Chmura JobsEQ, over the past ten years ending 2020, manufacturing employment in the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater MSA added more than 8,000 jobs.
The region is home to the global headquarters of several leading manufacturing firms including Signode, Bertram Yachts, The Mosaic Company, Advanced Airfoil Components, Suzuki Marine, and Coca-Cola Beverages Florida. The Tampa Bay area’s fast-growing population, pro-business climate, robust talent pipeline, and convenient location on the busy I-4 warehouse, distribution and logistics corridor has attracted more than 2,800 manufacturing firms, employing more than 69,000 people.
In recent years, Tampa Bay has won several major manufacturing wins. Leading training and simulation company CAE USA broke ground on its new headquarters facility, which will create an additional 100 new jobs to its existing workforce of more than 500. Signode, the transit packaging division of Crown Holdings, relocated its corporate headquarters from the Chicago area to Tampa in 2021. Local companies are expanding, too. Steel fabrication company Tampa Tank plans to invest $3 million in new equipment and add 60 new jobs by the end of 2022.
Tampa Bay’s manufacturing sector also plays a key role in attracting investment from overseas. Close to 500 foreign-owned companies representing more than 40 nations have established successful operations here.
- More than 2,800 manufacturing firms employ more than 69,000 people
- Over the last five years, manufacturing employment rose by more than 5% and average annual wages increased by 25%.
- The Manufacturing Alliance of Hillsborough County develops programs to ensure a skilled workforce is available to meet the needs of our local manufacturers.
- Plant City’s Career Academy, Hillsborough County Schools’ machining technology and robotics programming, and HCC’s applied welding programs are helping our youth find dynamic and fulfilling career paths.
- Leading sectors: computer and electronic products, fabricated metal, machinery, food, medical devices
- Tampa’s leading manufacturing companies: Advanced Airfoil Components, Aerosimulation, Beneficial Blends, Bertram Yachts, Chromalloy, Coca-Cola Beverages Florida, James Hardie, Masonite, Mosaic, Primo Water Corp., Signode, Suzuki Marine, Tampa Tank-Florida Structural Steel
“The business-friendly environment and growing economy in Tampa better positions us to grow our company and achieve our vision of being the premier, market-leading global industrial packaging company. We look forward to growing with and contributing to the greater Tampa community for years to come.”
– Robert Bourque, President of Signode
Tampa Bay has the second largest manufacturing employment in the state
Manufacturing Sector Poised for Growth
In this video, some of our largest local manufacturers explore what future growth opportunities they see in Hillsborough County.
Suzuki Marine Chooses Tampa for HQ
Suzuki Motors of America chose Tampa as the corporate headquarters location for new company Suzuki Marine.
Machinery Company Norwalt Expands to Tampa
Norwalt is expanding to Hillsborough County with plans to create 30+ new jobs over the next two years while launching a new product patent.