For more information about the local manufacturing industry, please contact:
Manufacturing has a long history in the Tampa area where it is a source of innovation for a wide range of industries. Whether it’s addressing precise military specifications, developing medical devices, or addressing sustainability efforts, local firms are advancing modern manufacturing technology and making an impact across the globe.
One of the region’s greatest business success stories over the past decade is the growth of the manufacturing sector. Florida ranks among the nation’s top 10 states for manufacturing, according to Enterprise Florida, and the Tampa Bay region has the second largest manufacturing employment in the state. From 2009-2018, manufacturing employment rose by more than 13 percent and average annual wages went up by 25 percent.
The region is home to the global headquarters of several leading manufacturing firms including Bertram Yachts, The Mosaic Company, Advanced Airfoil Components, and Coca-Cola Beverages Florida. The Tampa Bay area’s fast-growing population, pro-business climate, robust talent pipeline, and convenient location on the busy I-4 warehouse, distribution and logistics corridor has attracted more than 2,800 manufacturing firms, employing more than 62,000 people.
In recent years, Tampa Bay has won several major manufacturing wins. High-tech machinery company Automated Industrial Machinery, Inc. announced it was relocating its headquarters from the Chicago area to Hillsborough County, bringing $4 million in capital investment. Alternative fuels technology firm NuCycle Energy chose Plant City to open a new facility, the first of its kind. Leading training and simulation company CAE USA broke ground on its new headquarters facility, which will create an additional 100 new jobs to its existing workforce of more than 500.
Tampa Bay’s manufacturing sector also plays a key role in attracting investment from overseas. Close to 500 foreign-owned companies representing more than 40 nations have established successful operations here.
- More than 2,800 manufacturing firms employ more than 62,000 people
- Manufacturing employment rose by more than 13 percent and average annual wages went up by 25 percent, from 2009-2018.
- The Manufacturing Alliance of Hillsborough County develops programs to ensure a skilled workforce is available to meet the needs of our local manufacturers.
- Plant City’s Career Academy, Hillsborough County Schools’ machining technology and robotics programming, and HCC’s applied welding programs are helping our youth find dynamic and fulfilling career paths.
- Leading sectors: computer and electronic products, fabricated metal, machinery, food, medical devices
- Tampa’s leading manufacturing companies: Advanced Airfoil Components, Aerosimulation, Beneficial Blends, Bertram Yachts, Chromalloy, Coca-Cola Beverages Florida, James Hardie, Masonite, Mosaic, Primo Water Corp., Tampa Tank and Florida Structural Steel
“Tampa has always afforded me the opportunities to be closely connected to both business and community leaders, who I’ve been able to learn from and who have helped me continue to grow Beneficial Blends.”
– Erin Meagher, Founder and CEO, Beneficial Blends
Tampa Bay has the second largest manufacturing employment in the state